In just under a year Kaitlyn has made some serious strides on the platform and in the kitchen. Through CrossFit, Barbell club and Nutrition Coaching, Kaitlyn has not only gotten stronger, but has transformed her mind and body along the way.
Congratulations to Kaitlyn, our October 2021 Athlete of the Month!
1. When and why did you start at Salus?
I started in January 2021. I had always had an interest in CrossFit, but in December 2020 I started a new job and moved to the area. I thought CrossFit would be the perfect opportunity to meet new people as well as exercise and challenge myself.
2. How has your performance changed since you started at Salus?
I am able to do exercises that I wasn’t able to in the beginning. I also run half marathons and I have seen a significant change in my pace.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
When I first started I couldn’t even hold on to the bar for more than a few seconds, now I can do assisted pull-ups and my goal is one day to do an unassisted pull-up.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
I have seen a significant drop in body fat and I’m starting to see some baby biceps show.
5. How has Salus changed you in other ways?
I have a different and more positive mindset. CrossFit has taught me that there are no limits.
I am also able to focus better at work and I’m able to sleep better at night.
I have much more confidence overall.
6. How do you describe Salus to your friends?
The best hour of my day – it’s my time to think about nothing but challenging myself, but also getting to spend time with inspirational people (and laugh at the crazy things Gino says at 6am).
7. What keeps you motivated to continue? What’s your “why”?
I continue to be motivated by seeing the changes in my body as well as the shift in my mindset.
The cheers from fellow CrossFitters and coaches are also a great motivation.
8. Favorite lift or WOD?
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Salus?
Just try! You never know how strong you are and how much you can do until you try.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
An unassisted pull-up is my long term goal, but I would like to RX as many WODs as I can.
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
21 sit ups
21 pull ups
15 sit ups
15 pull ups
9 sit ups
9 pull ups
Running, cleans, and situps are my favorite exercises, but I have to include pull ups since they are difficult for me.
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
Other than CrossFit or exercising, my favorite thing to do is take my dog for walks on the beach or read.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
My favorite healthy dish is anything that involves salmon or some sort of seafood.
My favorite splurge meal would be pizza from my favorite pizza shop.
14. If you could be an animal what would you be and why?
I would be an octopus; I think they are fascinating. They are extremely intelligent and highly adaptive.
15. Favorite motivational quote?
“Only you can stop you.”
It’s more than just exercising or CrossFit, it’s the mindset that nothing is impossible.
16. Interesting fact not many people know about you.
I love all things steampunk!