Each month we spotlight a different Salus athlete who stands out and shows just how awesome they are. What is it that makes up an Athlete of the Month? It may not be the person that finishes the fastest, Rx’s every workout, or gets a PR every week. Although we love and celebrate when those things happen, the Athlete of the Month is made up of much more than physical ability. This person shows up to class, gives their best, and then gives a little more. They are hungry to learn and always ready to do the work without complaining. They support their fellow classmates and encourage them to reach their goals. This athlete embodies what we believe the CrossFit Salus Community should be all about.
Our February 2020 Athlete of the Month is Nina Gettings. Nina came in with goals and came out surpassing them. From banded pullups to many body weight pullups, added weight on the barbell and increased confidence, she has improved her overall strength dramatically. Her positive energy is contagious and we’re honored to have her be a part of the community.
We’re excited to share her story.
1. When and why did you start CrossFit?
I started CrossFit December, 2018 after seeing how much my dad liked it. His improvement inspired me to give it a try.
2. How has your performance changed since you started CrossFit?
I have definitely seen improvement in my technique and have more confidence during lifting weights. Also, when I first started, I was just trying to finish the workout and survive, now I am pushing myself.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
When I started, I could barely do a pullup with a green band. Now I can do several strict ones! This will come in handy when taking the Candidate Fitness Assessment for West Point.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
I have seen a significant improvement in my mobility and overall flexibility, as well as continue to increase in overall strength.
5. How has CrossFit changed you in other ways?
I think CrossFit helps me do better in school, because it has taught me how to keep on going even when I really want to stop and give up.
6. How do you describe CrossFit to your friends?
During the workout it is super intense and challenging, but once you are done, it is the best feeling ever!
7. What keeps you motivated to continue?
I love the feeling you get after class, and being able to see ongoing improvement.
8. Favorite WOD?
1 mile Run
1 mile Run
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining CrossFit Salus?
Break down the number of reps in your head. For example, if you need to do 20 wall balls, just make it to 10, and then break the last 10 into sets of 5. Never look at the total amount of reps and slowly chip away.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
Get into college!!!
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
Mile run (slow)
25 sit ups
5 pullups (green band if needed)
25 box jumps
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
Walking/ going on hikes with my family and friends. I also like fast roller coasters (i.e., Kingda Ka), playing soccer, and tennis.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
Healthy dish: Poke bowl at JJs Delicacies in Red Bank.
Splurge Meal: Mac and cheese and coffee ice cream for dessert.
14. If you could be an animal what would you be and why?
I would be a flying squirrel because they can climb up trees, are fearless and jump from branch to branch.
15. Favorite motivational quote?
“Discipline equals freedom” -Jocko Willink
16. Interesting fact that not many people know about you.
When I was in China I ate a scorpion.