Congratulations to Matt Douglas, our November 2015 Athlete of the Month. Matt has made great strides in his time here at CrossFit Salus. He never misses an opportunity to get better and puts in the time to work on what were once his weaknesses, such as mobility, Olympic lifts, and advanced bodyweight exercises like muscle ups. He is very motivated and has the drive and determination to set goals and accomplish them. Check out his story below:
1. When and why did you start CrossFit?
I can’t pinpoint a certain day. I do remember reading about it and one day came into my old gym, telling my brother we should look into this crossfit. We modified a workout to do at our gym and slow and steady became hooked.
2. How has your performance changed since you started CrossFit?
My endurance has increased with hockey for sure. Crossfit also helped me better understand my limits on how far I can push my body.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
I never even attempted to try olympic lifts while playing sports or think it was possible to do muscle ups. Now, I can say I do both.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started CrossFit?
It has leaned me out and I actually have more muscle definition
5. How has CrossFit changed you in other ways?
It made me learn balance between eating, sleep and working out.
Before crossfit I was all about pushing my body to the limits, with sports and working out, but never thought about the other parts to it. Also now I am able to fall right asleep once I hit the pillow, those workouts are tough.
6. How do you describe CrossFit to your friends?
People always have misconceptions about crossfit when they ask me and all I say to them is, I can’t tell you I just have to show you. But I also tell them it has helped me get strong, have a better understand of my body.
I can do things I never thought I was capable of doing.
7. What keeps you motivated to continue?
What keeps me motivated is the people around me. Also I am very competitive so I want to beat all my old times and scores.
8. Favorite WOD or lift?
I do like Elizabeth for some reason..Once I am better at muscle ups, I would say Muscle Ups
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining CrossFit Salus?
I would tell them:
know your limits and soak up everything you can from the coaches about technique.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish…or goat to kill?
I do want to stay more consistent and would like to do join a team to compete with. Also I want to get more Double Unders, but need to practice them more.
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
It would be something with pull-ups, cleans and Overhead squat.
12. Best take away from the last Paleo challenge?
I do need to try the next one to see if I can be discipline with eating and to see if it helps me perform and look better.
13. Favorite Paleo dish….and favorite “cheat” meal.
I love chicken and sweet potatoes, I do also enjoy the coconut chicken from Kettlebell kitchen. My “cheat” is I love sweets, mostly chocolate, cookies and anything Reese’s pieces
I really love the community you guys have created, it makes working out that much more enjoyable and motivates me not only to be better athlete, but person.