Ron started CrossFit one year ago, in October 2015 and has made some serious improvements. In addition to losing 35 pounds, Ron has gotten much stronger and continues to build on his cardio conditioning. Like most of us, he has a long list of goals to accomplish, which keeps him motivated. Give Ron a chalky high five when you see him at the box, he’s our next Athlete of the Month!
Way to go Ron!
1. When and why did you start CrossFit?
I was very heavy – 275lbs – and my conditioning was awful. Rob Conrad and Mike Farina could not speak enough about the benefits of CrossFit and hooked me up at Salus. I spoke to Gino the next day. On ramp started soon thereafter.
2. How has your performance changed since you started CrossFit?
Easy question, I lost 35 pounds. Conditioning and strength are building. But still have a way to go.
I’ve already lost 35 pounds!
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
There are a number of exercises I can now do. A good example is box jumps. I started with the smallest box, now I’m doing 24 inches.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started CrossFit?
Losing 35lbs is a significant body change. It’s easily 3-4 inches off my waist. And I do feel much stronger now than when I started.
I feel much stronger now
5. How has CrossFit changed you in other ways?
Seeing results is motivating. Acknowledgement of hard work by family, friends and peers is motivating.
Seeing results is motivating
6. How do you describe CrossFit to your friends?
I tell anyone that will listen that CrossFit is THE best way to reach desired physical fitness goals. I can’t speak for all CrossFit boxes, but at Salus the instruction is great, the staff and members support and motivate. No one judges.
No one judges.
7. What keeps you motivated to continue?
Again, an easy question. The People. Gino and Ang are terrific coaches. The athletes are friendly and supportive.
It’s the People.
8. Favorite WOD or lift?
Favorite WOD would be Linda. Although my needs dictate more cardio-based WODs.
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining CrossFit Salus?
Give it a try. Don’t have pre-conceived expectations. Listen, learn, work hard and have fun. The results and support network will keep you coming back.
Listen, learn, work hard and have fun.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish…or goat to kill?
Double unders, hand stand push-ups, strict pull ups, proper overhead squats and the list goes on….
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
I enjoy the strength WODs, I need the cardio. Each week, Salus’ does a great job mixing these elements.
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
I have a 10-year old – he is the center of the world.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “cheat” meal?
Grilled meat/fish on a salad would be the favorite. Cheat meal – wings and pale ale!!
Joining CrossFit was one of the best decisions I’ve made.