Like so many of us this past year (plus), finding a place we can go to escape the worries of the day, relieve some stress and connect with other like-minded people has been so important. Although Rich joined the Salus community this past April, he was getting involved at home with is wife. In his words, “It got my mind off of what was going on in the world even if it was just for an hour.”
Congratulations Rich, you are an inspiration and we love having as part of the community.
Please meet the August 2021 Athlete of the Month: Rich Crocker
1. When and why did you start at Salus?
I started Salus in the beginning of April. During COVID, I was doing the WODs with Cherie (my wife) and I really enjoyed our workouts together.
It got my mind off of what was going on in the world even if it was just for an hour.
2. How has your performance changed since you started at Salus?
I have given myself the award of “Most Improved Athlete.”
My first couple weeks were really tough on me, but I could see the progression each week. In the beginning I was taking breaks in what seemed to be every minute but now my endurance is off the charts from where I started.
I find myself finishing off the workouts stronger everyday.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
It took me a while but I’m finally able to do cleans, snatches and get on the wall for handstand push-ups.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
I feel fitter overall. My arms are more defined and abs are starting to show.
5. How has Salus changed you in other ways?
This has been the biggest benefit of Salus. It starts with falling asleep quicker and sleeping straight through the night.
My mood has been great in the morning, which sets the tone for the day.
I feel that I’m not overwhelmed and I’m taking care of one task at a time instead of overwhelming myself with all the things I have to do for the day.
6. How do you describe Salus to your friends?
“The best hour of my day!”
7. What keeps you motivated to continue?
The physical changes are always great, but it’s seeing Coach Gino and the group I get to workout with everyday.
It’s a mentality that we are all in this together while trying to push our body’s to the limit. I just love completing the WODs and seeing the improvement on my time or lifts each week.
8. Favorite WOD?
Any WOD that involves a run/rower into a lift.
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Salus?
Everyone started where you are today. And remember that everyone is here to motivate and help.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
I have two goals:
Handstand Push-ups and Kipping Pull-ups.
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
3 rounds for time
500 meter row
15 box jumps
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
Besides CrossFit? Movie nights with my wife and kids.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
Lean steak and broccolini.
Splurge: Burger and fries.
14. If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?
Superman because he can do anything.
15. Favorite motivational quote?
“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullsh*t story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – Jordan Belfort
16. Interesting fact not many people know about you.
I sold storage units for Manhattan Mini Storage, Cable TV for RCN NY and garments that prevent blood clots for CTC before I got into the Restaurant business.