Healthy breakfast ideas… they can be the Achilles heel of the modern day parent.
As a mom of twins, I know that mornings are crazy. Between dragging the kids out of bed and making sure they’re ready for school, it can be tempting to give breakfast the backseat and go for convenience over nutritious.
I get it. You don’t want to be repetitive with food items every morning, yet you have to be practical and keep things as easy as possible, too. But, the fact is: if you’re too busy to prepare and eat a nutritious breakfast, you’re simply too busy to be lean and healthy.
What about intermittent fasting? Sure, some individuals intentionally skip breakfast in effort to drop body fat, but it doesn’t seem to work in the long run. Some studies show that those who skip breakfast are up to 5 times more likely to be obese than those who make their first meal of the day a nutritious, daily habit.
The good news is that you don’t have to sacrifice nutrition for convenience.
It’s time to think outside of the donut box. Here are 15 healthy breakfast ideas to help you make your mornings a little less chaotic and a lot more nutritious.
15 Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Try these healthy breakfast ideas (kid-approved) to keep variety and interest up.
- ★Sprouted grain toast, eggs over easy, avocado, cucumber,
- ★Egg Sandwich using Birch Benders Paleo pancake mix as your “bread”
- ★Sweet potato, scrambled egg whites, one whole egg, no-sugar bacon, avocado
- ★Stove top oatmeal with fresh fruit (mashed banana works wonders!), flax,fresh pumpkin seeds, or a few nuts (need more protein, mix in some of your favorite protein powder – just add extra water), and unsweetened nut milk
- ★”Noatmeal” made with eggs, nuts, raisins, bananas. Blend all together then cook stove top with coconut oil
- ★Lara bar, seasonal fruit
- ★Hard-boiled egg, avocado, banana
- ★Loaded egg white omelet with turkey sausage, spinach and fresh berries on the side
- ★Plain Greek yogurt parfait: layer plain organic yogurt, walnuts and fresh or frozen berries
- ★Birch Benders pancakes or waffles with heated fruit spread on top (blueberries & bananas work really well), side of egg whites. Birch Benders also has pumpkin flavored mix, for all you pumpkin fans.
- ★Sprouted grain toast, grass-fed butter or nut butter (no sugar added) spread
- ★Protein shake mixed with half frozen banana, unsweetened oat milk, and nut butter
- ★Steves PaleoKrunch with yogurt or unsweetened nut milk
- ★ Egg White Muffins (fill each muffin slot ½ – ¾ of the way with egg whites and add in your favorite healthy ingredients like spinach, peppers, onions, tomatoes, turkey sausage. Bake at 350 degrees until the edges are golden)
- ★Dinner leftovers (seriously!) Don’t be afraid of eating vegetables, or “dinner food” (like chicken and salad, or chili) for breakfast Try my Butternut Squash soup – it would make an amazing morning meal!
★or try your hand at your own cereal recipe!
Healthy Breakfast Ideas Made Easy
As a busy parent, I know it’s hard to resist the reliance on boxes and packaged goods. The key is to find the healthiest alternative and sneak in a few homemade options as well. Just start with one healthy breakfast idea to make from scratch, like Noatmeal or Butternut Squash soup. Try it on the weekend when you have a little more time and choose something that’s easy to prepare ahead. You’ll find that it’s easier than you think once you find some new favorites and get into the rhythm.
The key is to establish a routine that you can stick with
Try a New Healthy Breakfast Idea This Month
I challenge you to try something new this month. Have your child scroll through and choose the healthy breakfast ideas that sound good to try!
Jot down your favorites post it somewhere so everyone can see. Add new ideas every month or get creative and make new combinations!
Get kids involved with the cooking and have fun!