Consistency is the key to achieving progress. But it’s persistence in doing those actions repeatedly that is going to get you those elusive PRs and experiencing big results over time. And our next Athlete of the Month, Dylan Baxter, is a solid example of that.
“Dylan always shows up to give 100%! He’s very dedicated, comes early to work on his mobility and very coachable. He pushes others in class and he’s fun to be around.” ~Coach Camilla
“Dylan is always well prepared for class, supports and cheers on everyone who is working along side him, is extremely coachable, and a tremendous athlete.” ~Coach Lisa
“It’s always fun to coach an athlete who is also a competitor! Dylan always gives that extra 10% so in competition- he knows he can flip that switch.” ~Coach Anthony
“Dylan attends most of the Friday night classes. He’s always the first one there and typically the first one finished (speedy WODster). Also, he consistently supports and has helpful comments and encouragement for everybody else in the class. He’s very diligent with his form and takes pride in his consistency. He definitely is a dedicated CrossFitter, but more importantly, a very friendly and sincere young man.” ~Coach Marc
Meet Dylan Baxter, Athlete of the Month for June 2023
1. When and why did you start at Salus?
I started Salus in June of 2021. I was formally at Isabella fitness in Sayreville and was looking to find a gym closer to home.
I took a single drop in class and knew from there that this was a gym I wanted to be a part of.
2. How has your performance changed since you started at Salus?
I have definitely become a better CrossFit athlete since joining Salus.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
Butterfly CTB pull ups
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
I have put on a lot more muscle and size.
5. How has Salus changed you in other ways?
My family has a history of high blood pressure.
Since joining Salus my blood pressure has dropped and I now have low blood pressure.
6. How do you describe Salus to your friends?
Salus is a friendly competitive gym that cheers for everyone to do their best in and outside the gym.
7. What keeps you motivated to continue? What’s your “why”?
Seeing progress. I want to slowly but consistently get better.
8. Favorite lift or WOD?
Bicep curls obviously! Most important muscle in the body.
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Salus?
Just show up!
Create the habit of going to the gym.
No matter your skill or ability level if you consistently show up and put the work in you’ll be surprised what you can accomplish.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
String together ring muscle ups.
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
Bench, curl and hand stand walks
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
Playing and watching sports.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
- Healthy: Grilled chicken with air fried potatoes and broccoli
- Splurge: sushi
14. If you could be a animal what would you be and why?
I would be a dog. They eat sleep and play all day. Doesn’t get much better than that.
15. Favorite motivational quote?
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
16. Interesting fact not many people know about you.
I used to play collegiate baseball.