Each month we highlight a new athlete at Salus. This individual exudes something above and beyond. They not only give their best in every class, but they’re are hungry to learn more and always ready to put in the work. This individual also supports their fellow classmates and encourages them to reach their goals, too. We believe that this is what the Salus Community should be all about.
This month, we get to feature Courtney Guerriero. Since joining this summer, Courtney has demonstrated some of the most dedication we’ve seen to improving her health and fitness. Whether that’s bringing her son with her to class or attending the 6am rain or shine, Courtney is an inspiration to many of us and couldn’t be more deserving of this feature.
Please meet the April Athlete of the Month: Courtney Guerriero:
1. When and why did you start at Salus?
I started at Salus last August and I wish it had been sooner. I moved to Jersey in July of 2019 determined to find my new CrossFit home. However, between moving pregnant, a few gyms that didn’t fit, becoming a new mom, and a pandemic… it surely took a while.
When I found Salus in August it was immediately clear it was my new home.
2. How has your performance changed since you started at Salus?
I’ve gotten so much stronger. I’ve gotten faster and increased my endurance too. I’m still slow as a turtle but I’m a faster turtle now.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
Yes! I’ve gotten pull ups and a few double unders.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
It’s changed a ton! I was so worried about getting my pre-baby body back but the body I have now is better.
I have some cuts in my arms, back, and quads. And on a really, really good day there is the faintest sign of some ab lines.
5. How has Salus changed you in other ways?
My commitment to taking care of myself overall has greatly improved.
I put more emphasis on my nutrition and sleep so I feel good enough to train as often as possible. My focus and energy is much better on days I work out than days I don’t.
My day doesn’t feel right if I don’t start it at Salus.
6. How do you describe Salus to your friends?
It’s a great place to get a killer workout with great people. The coaches genuinely care about each member and help them to improve. The members all support each other and have fun together. There are no egos at Salus.
7. What keeps you motivated to continue?
CrossFit changed my life.
Prior to starting CrossFit I had never worked out. I was constantly sick. I suffered from severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome due to a chronic illness. I never seemed to feel right no matter what I did; even with medical intervention. Within months of starting CrossFit I felt like a brand new person.
I feel great everyday now and haven’t had a flare up of CFS in years.
8. Favorite lift?
I could do Power Cleans all day long. ALL. DAY. LONG.
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Salus?
Just show up and move. Don’t worry about what you can or can’t do.
Every day we are all striving to do something we didn’t think we could do.
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
200lb+ Deadlift and toes to bar.
I am so close to both and want it so bad.
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
Hmmm I love a good chipper. I like the idea of finishing something and being done with it. I also love a good partner WOD so probably something like…
200 dumbbell lunges
100 clean and jerks
200 pull ups
200 toes 2 bar
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
I love going to outdoor food or drink festivals. I love trying new foods or new beers. Nothing is better than being out in the sunshine enjoying something delicious.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
- Healthy meal: Lately it’s breakfast. 3 eggs over easy, whole wheat toast, and mini bell peppers.
- Splurge meal: A huge steak burrito with guacamole, cheese, sour cream, the works. I mean HUGE. Like one that you are shocked and awed and a little grossed out to see me finish. And I will finish.
14. If you could be an animal what would you be and why?
Probably something in the ocean, maybe a dolphin. I love the ocean. Everything that lives in it is beautiful.
15. Favorite motivational quote?
“I didn’t come this far to only come this far”
I feel like this sums up CrossFit perfectly because there’s never an end game. You hit a goal or a PR and immediately start striving for the next step up.
There’s always further to go.
16. Interesting fact not many people know about you.
I love to cook and bake. I like to try new and really complex recipes but almost never attempt the same thing twice. It’s more to just challenge myself in the kitchen. I know what I can do so I want to see if there are things I can’t do. I don’t even want to eat it, I just want to see if I can make it.