What is the 21-Day “RISE UP” Summer Nutrition Challenge?
Kick off summer with our RISE UP Summer Nutrition Challenge! Rise up to the challenge and get your goals back on track. With nutrition as our foundation, we’ll also dig into your hydration, exercise, mobility, sleep, goals and motivation. Because, when you have all these elements working together, you’ll experience positive changes with your performance, recovery, energy, body composition and more!
When is the Summer 2018 RISE UP Summer Nutrition Challenge?
June 1-June 21 (first day of summer)
Registration opens week of May 21
Should I Do the Summer Nutrition Challenge?
The 21-Day “RISE UP” Summer Nutrition Challenge is for anyone (beginner, intermediate or advanced individuals) looking to experience positive changes in their performance, recovery, energy levels, body fat percentages, and get motivated, too!
This challenge is open to local Salus members as well as nonmembers and remote participants nationwide, too!
So, grab a friend, coworker or family member to join you in on the fun.
How Much Does It Cost
*Registration after May 29: $40 (members), $50 (nonmembers) Note: late registration does not include tshirt.
Are There Prizes
1st place male and female winners will each receive a $100 cash prize.
What Are the Summer Nutrition Challenge Details
Improve your health & wellness in 21 days by focusing on 7 habits every day:
- NUTRITION — Eat only whole (unprocessed), nutrient-dense foods from the food list and follow portion guidelines, eating only to “satisfied” instead of “stuffed”
- EXERCISE — Make time to exercise 5 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes each day. On recovery days, fit in a 10 minute low-intensity workout, such as a walk or yoga.
- MOBILITY — Stretch and/or roll for a minimum of 10 minutes each day.
- SLEEP — Sleep for at least 7 hours every night.
- HYDRATE — Drink mL of water equal to your bodyweight in kilograms (1kg=2.2lbs) x 35.
- PERSONAL IMPROVEMENT — Establish goals outside of work or the box to keep you growing as an individual. This can have a positive impact on stress and social relationships and can encompass anything from spirituality to charitable work to expanding your knowledge.
- MOTIVATE — Every day, share your experience about the RISE UP challenge with someone in your life to help you stay motivated, motivate those around you and rack up more points.
Summer Nutrition Challenge Scoring Details
Start each day with 22 points.
A complete Nutrition day is worth 10 points is is comprised of two parts.
- Get 5 points for eating within the food guidelines. Deduct 2 points for each non-compliant food/drink.
- Get 5 points for following portion guidelines below. Deduct 2 points for missing a meal or eating until you feel uncomfortable or “stuffed.”
A complete Exercise day is worth 2 points.
- Get 2 points for a CrossFit class, weightlifting session or other high-intensity 20 min workout.
- Get 1 point for a low intensity workout like a walk or yoga.
- 0 points for skipping your workout.
A complete Mobility day is worth 2 points.
- Get 2 points for stretching and/or rolling 10 minutes.
- 0 points for missing the chance to be a supple leopard.
A complete Sleep day is worth 2 points.
- Get 2 points for sleeping 7 hours a night.
- 1 point for 6 hours.
- 0 points for anything less…zzzz
A complete Hydrate day is worth 2 points.
- Get 2 points for drinking your specific amount of water: (mL of water equal to your bodyweight in kilograms (1kg=2.2lbs) x 35).
- 1 point for drinking up to 80% of that.
- 0 points for anything less.
A complete Personal Improvement day is worth 2 points.
- Get 2 points for making an effort to work toward your personal improvement goals (15+ minutes).
- 0 points for missing a day to become a better you.
A complete Motivate day is worth 2 points.
- Get 2 points for sharing your challenge experience on social media: use hashtags #foundationnutrition #RiseUp #RiseUpToTheChallenge so we can track the fun.
- 1 point for talking with someone in person about your experience with the challenge.
- 0 points for keeping all the motivation to yourself.
- 1 point: Answer challenge questions on the Facebook page
- 1 point: PR during CrossFit or Weightlifting class, or during a competition or race. Limit to one PR bonus point per day. Oh, and you gotta ring that bell, too!
- 1 point: submitting progress pictures on the app
- 1 point: submitting your weekly weigh-in
- 1 point: submitting your weekly circumference
- 1 point: Bonus TBD
NOTE: All points must be entered daily. You have one day to go back and enter points from the day before.
If there is a tie at the end of the summer nutrition challenge, we will refer to tiebreakers.
Considering this is a nutrition challenge, we’ll first look at the person who had the most points from both nutrition categories. And if there is still a tie, we’ll come up with a fitness-based tie-breaker challenge to ensure that only one male and female RISE UP victorious!
Fit in a good balance of protein, veggies, smart carbs, healthy fats by using your hand(s) as your guide to build your plate for each meal/snack.
Females: 1 palm (~ 20-30g of protein)
Males: 2 palms (~ 40-60g of protein)
Females: 1 fist
Males: 2 fists
Females: 1 cupped hand (~ 20-30g of carbs)
Males: 2 cupped hands (~ 40-60g of carbs)
Females: 1 thumb (~ 7-12g of fats)
Males: 2 thumbs ( ~ 15-25g of fat)
? Eating like this for 3-4 meals a day put you around 1,200-1,500 calories each day.
??♀️ Active women do best with 4-6 servings of each food group per day (~1,500-2,100 kcal).
? Eating like this for 3-4 meals a day would get you around 2,300-3,000 calories every day.
?? Active men respond best with 6-8 servings of each food group per day (~2,300-3,000 kcal).
⚙ From there, customize by adjusting the number of portions to meet your unique needs and goals.
? For example, you may need MORE food because you…
• Are larger in stature
• Are feeling light headed during your workouts
• Eat less frequently throughout the day
• Are very active
• Are trying to gain muscle
• Aren’t getting muscle-gain results
? If that’s the case, add the following:
Men: 1 cupped handful of carbs and/or 1 thumb of fat to a few meals every day.
Women: 1/2 cupped handful of carbs and/or 1/2 thumb of fat to a few meals each day.
? You may need need LESS food because you…
• Are smaller in stature
• Feel full after meals
• Eat more frequently throughout the day
• Are not very active
• Are trying to lose weight
• Aren’t getting weight-loss results
? If that’s the case, remove the following:
Men: 1 cupped handful of carbs and/or 1 thumb of fat from a few meals each day.
Women: 1/2 cupped handful of carbs and/or 1/2 thumb of fat from a few meals each day.
?? As always, pay attention to hunger cues, emotions that drive decisions, hormones and stress. Then adjust as needed.
Simply Eat Clean, Nutrient-Dense Foods
For the duration of the summer nutrition challenge, we encourage you to clean up your diet and eliminate processed foods while embracing nutrient-dense foods such as vegetables, fruits, good fats and high-quality proteins.
[table id=1 /]
*Did you find a healthy alternative? Send me the label information to see if it’s “compliant” for the challenge!
What condiments are allowed?
Balsamic vinegar (must be the only ingredient), red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, hot sauce (check label for additives/sugar), spices and seasonings are okay (read the ingredients!), garlic cloves, herbs.
What about sweeteners?
The only source of sweetener should come from whole foods (aka: fruit), stevia, monkfruit or coconut sugar is also allowed. Omit honey, molasses, maple syrup, agave, table sugar, or other artificial sweeteners.
What happens when I go out to eat?
While we understand events, parties and celebrations will come up. For 21 days, we are asking you to prepare all of your meals at home. If you do eat out, do your best to eat within the portion and food choice guidelines. Unless you know exactly how your meal was prepared, you cannot receive full points for it. This is called a challenge for a reason and we want to maximize your results in this 21-day time span.
What about liquid?
Only water, coconut water, coffee or your preferred choice of pre/post workout supplements are allowed. Any alcohol including wine, beer, soda – diet or regular are considered non-compliant.
What if I’m following macros
For those of you who are already weighing/measuring your food and following prescribed macros under the guidance of a nutrition coach, you are encouraged to continue doing that during the summer nutrition challenge. If this is the case, your scoring will look like this:
5 Points: You are within + or – 5 grams of each macronutrient target
3 Point: You are within + or – 10 grams of each macronutrient target
0 Points: You more than + or – 10 grams away from your targets
Sweet, so what are the next steps
Make the choice that you and your health goals are worth some extra effort.
Tell a friend about it to help hold you accountable. Maybe you’ll motivate them to join you!
Sign up now and get ready to kick off summer stronger. RISE UP to the challenge!
RISE UP TO THE CHALLENGE!
Sign me up >>
Download The Wodify Rise mobile app available on the App Store and Google Play.
Interested in something more individualized and in-depth?
Sign up for our 3-month Nutrition Coaching Program.
Find out more at https://www.crossfitsalus.com/foundation-nutrition-coaching/.