Progressive improvements over time yield big results. And our next Athlete of the Month, Bill May, is a solid example of that.
“Bill has definitely shown a strong level of commitment,” said Coach Gino. “He has made a lot of improvement in his technique in a lot of the movements we do in CrossFit. Not only that, but he is always supportive of others in the class and doesn’t hesitate to make things fun with great dad jokes.”
Congratulations Bill! Meet our March 2022 Athlete of the Month!
1. When and why did you start at Salus?
My CrossFit journey started in July 2021. I had been working out at a local gym for years and lost my motivation. I was basically just going through the motions for years. CrossFit has piqued my interest for a while but I just never pulled the trigger until some friends that were members motivated me…. Basically The Crocker’s forced me to join.
2. How has your performance changed since you started at Salus?
My strength, mobility, technique and stamina have improved significantly.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
Yes- Upside down push ups (aka handstand pushups), double unders and crab walks 🙂 . Honestly, I don’t think I could do a pull up without assistance when I started.
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
I’ve lost weight and built muscle.
5. How has Salus changed you in other ways?
My energy levels have increased which has allowed me to keep up with my kids longer.
My eating habits and recovery habits have improved dramatically.
I’m more diligent about making sure I eat healthier and get enough sleep in order to live a healthier lifestyle and refuel for the next day’s workout.
6. How do you describe Salus to your friends?
It’s a tremendous group of men and women at all levels that come together as a community to support and motivate each other.
The coaches are fantastic and all have a ton of experience, knowledge and enthusiasm.
7. What keeps you motivated to continue? What’s your “why”?
The gratification of overcoming the daily mental and physical challenge is something that I really enjoy.
I’ve seen an increase not only in my strength but my mental toughness and confidence which is carried over into other facets of my life.
Practicing a healthier lifestyle allows me to be a good example not only for my children but to my friends and family.
8. Favorite lift?
The Power Snatch
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Salus?
Go light, work on technique, and keep going, it gets better!
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
Bar Muscle Up
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
20 Min AMRAP of:
40 Double Unders
20 GHD sit ups
15 Turkish Get ups
10 Wall Walks
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
Hang with my family but I would say that’s probably not their favorite thing to do. Also I, love spending time and fishing on Lake Champlain.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
Healthy Dish: Salmon, Brussel Sprouts and rice.
Favorite splurge is any dessert …. I love my sweets
14. If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
A King Cobra- their venom is powerful enough that a single bite could kill a Bull in under 3 hours. It can cause dizziness, blurred vision and often paralysis which is very similar to how I feel after most WODs.
15. Favorite inspirational quote?
“Everyone must choose one of two pains: The pain of discipline or the pain of regret.” ~Unknown
16. Interesting fact not many people know about you.
Hmmm, I’m pretty open but I would say for most of my life I thought I was half Italian but found out recently that I’m actually greek…’Opa!’