When the Salus Coaches discussed who should be our next Athlete of the Month, Sandra’s name came up multiple times. Sandra has come a long way over the past 6 months. “She is very coachable and willing to learn.” Not only has she made massive improvements in the gym by improving her lifts and body composition, but it has also positively impacted her energy and stress levels as well.
As a coach, it’s so inspiring to witness when people achieve PRs, but you just can’t beat the tears of joy over her 20lb clean PR back in January. You MUST watch the video we posted on our Instagram page. “She has definitely shown a lot of improvement.”
Congratulations Sandra! Meet our February 2022 Athlete of the Month!
1. When and why did you start at Salus?
I started at Salus in late August in 2021. I decided to try this after seeing my friend Yuliya transform herself after having her third child. We did a Rugged Maniac together (I love these kinds of races with obstacles) and we were talking the whole time and she convinced me to try CrossFit.
The main reason is because the workouts are always different. I like that! So here I am!
2. How has your performance changed since you started at Salus?
I definitely have more stamina than I used to. I can definitely lift more weight (slow and steady) and I can actually RX some of the level 1 workouts.
3. Are there exercises you can do now that you couldn’t do before?
Yes, pull ups. I still need to work on kipping, but I can do a couple of pull ups when I used to not even be able to do anything close to that. And wall balls were my nemesis, but now they’re just annoying!! Lol!!
4. How has your body physically changed since you started?
I am not stuffing myself in my jeans anymore. I don’t weigh myself ever, so I have no idea if I have lost weight, but I definitely feel like my torso, arms and legs are getting more toned, but I have a ways to go before I look like Angela!!
5. How has Salus changed you in other ways?
I definitely think a lot more about the food I put in my body! If I am going to spend this time exercising I don’t want to undo that with what I eat!
Also, I used to get a lot of migraines, but I think the stress relief I am experiencing is really helping reduce my headaches.
6. How do you describe Salus to your friends?
I tell them that it’s crazy. I look at the WOD and I think, “ There’s NO way I’ll be able to do that, but I’ll give it a shot”. But the more and more I attend, the more I surprise myself with what I can accomplish. It feels so great to complete a workout. It’s always different and the coaches and participants are incredibly kind, encouraging and supportive!!!
7. What keeps you motivated to continue? What’s your “why”?
So many things!
- I desperately needed to do something. I was literally not exercising at all for years. I saw the path I was headed down and it was no good!
- My husband and I have this dream hike we want to do called the Coast to Coast walk across Northern England. It’s 192 miles of the most beautiful scenery. This is part of my preparation for that.
- I want to have energy to run after my grandchildren – my 20 and 21 year old kids need to finish college and get married first, but, you know, I’m planning ahead.
- But really, I just want to be like Elaine’s description of George Costanza: “ He can lift 100 pounds right up over his head.” I am slowly getting there!!
8. Favorite lift or WOD?
Favorite lift is the Bench Press.
I don’t remember the name, but I really liked the New Year’s Eve challenge of doing the two WODs, one right after the other.
I never thought I would ever be able to complete them, but I did.
I was so surprised and pleased! It was fun to do it with everyone.
9. What advice would you give to a newbie just joining Salus?
Have fun! Ask questions. Do not get discouraged, get determined! If you need a lesson in determination, just watch Yuliya work out!!! 🙂
10. What is your next goal to accomplish?
I really want to get better at kipping for pull ups and toes to bar. I need a lot of help with that. Everyone makes it look so easy, but my body and my brain are not talking. There seems to be a disconnect.
But I know I will get it some day! Oh and DOUBLE UNDERS!! UGH!!
11. If you could design your own WOD, what would it look like?
If I designed a WOD it would look a lot more like: relax on a couch under a comfy blanket: 20 min.
sip a cup of tea: 5x EMOM for 10 min. Ha ha!
So, I’ll leave the WOD design to the professionals!
12. Favorite thing to do for fun?
Hiking in the woods with my husband, traveling abroad (haven’t done that in a while), reading a good book, watching a good movie, and going to Maine in the summer! Oh wait, you only asked for one thing! oops.
13. Favorite healthy dish….and favorite “splurge” meal?
Spinach salad with grilled chicken, feta cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette – is that healthy??
Filet mignon, garlic mashed potatoes and buttery green beans and an ice cold Kane Head High!!
14. If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?
I would be Black Widow (from the Marvel movies). She is tough as nails, can kick some butt and looks great doing it! 🙂
15. Favorite inspirational quote?
“For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:13
Gets me through every workout!
16. Interesting fact not many people know about you.
When I was about 6 or 7 I knocked my two front teeth out by stepping on a metal rake. Yes, think of the cartoons where they step on the rake and the handle flies up and whacks them in the face. That was me! 🙂 I am a little more coordinated now.