The key is to read the ingredients list. You’ll be surprised, you might find some healthy alternatives/swaps out there that are “compliant.” Here are some ideas:
- Instead of a seemingly healthy Nature Valley Granola Bars (ingredients: Whole Grain Oats, Sugar, Canola Oil, Rice Flour, Honey, Salt, Brown Sugar Syrup, Baking Soda, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor), opt for a Larabar (Dates. Almonds. Walnuts. Cocoa Powder. Sea Salt.) or an RX bar (egg whites, nuts, date).
- Instead of regular pasta (ingredient semolina flour- a refined white flour with minimal nutrients) opt for brown rice pasta (brown rice, water).
- Instead of microwave popcorn with hydrogenated oils, pop your own on the stovetop with coconut oil and sea salt.
- Instead of Aunt Jemima pancake mix (ingredients: enriched bleached flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), sugar, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), salt, calcium carbonate), opt for Birch Benders Paleo pancake mix (cassava flour, organic coconut flour, almond flour, eggs, leavening, salt, monk fruit, spice.)
- Instead of sugar filled breakfast cereals, serve up oatmeal with mashed banana inside!
- Instead of a sandwich for lunch, consider packing a small thermos with last night’s “approved” leftovers.
- Instead of restaurant french fries (will most likely be fried in yuck oils), make your own “fried” potatoes or sweet potatoes with coconut or olive oil and bake!
- Check out more great swaps: https://greatist.com/eat/whole30-approved-kitchen-staples